“Makerspaces, sometimes also referred to as hackerspaces, hackspaces, and fablabs are creative . . . spaces where people can gather to create, invent, and learn… ” Kroski (2013) http://oedb.org/ilibrarian/a-librarians-guide-to-makerspaces/
Why in a library?
- Library is already a place of knowledge creation
- New technology and new educational curricula break down distinction between thinking, writing and creating physical things
- Users in specific programs, classes, organizations already had access to existing makerspaces
- Usually with expert staffing
- Possible open ‘niche’ in the ‘market’ for a makerspace for introductory, non-specialist audience
- Library staff and student staffing
- Space for workshops, class visits, and discussion
- Six 3D printers (several different models)
- Two sewing machines
- Four desktop computers with design software
- Virtual reality experimentation room
Interested in learning more? Come to the CUL Makerspace in Mann Library 112.
Regular hours during academic year: Monday thru Thursday, 2 PM to 7 PM.
Questions? Visit us at http://makerspace.library.cornell.edu/.
Thanks to: Camille Andrews, Devin Sanera, Tobi Hines, Sara Wright, J. McKee